Background: Benoit Marketing was hired for six months as a sub-contractor to White + Partners. The scope of work was to develop a social media strategy for the destination marketing organization, Visit Fairfax, working in conjunction with the public relations person.
Challenge: W+P wanted Visit Fairfax to increase their social media content. Visit Fairfax was interested in how to use social media to communication with the group, wedding and sports market; however, they had little expertise in social media. It was our job to research other DMO’s, plan a strategy and train the staff.
Solution: Craft an integrated, ongoing social media campaign – using Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn – that positioned Visit Fairfax as the destination for visitors to ‘connect’ with leisure and group activities.
- Benoit Marketing, in conjunction with White + Partners, moved the strategy away from attraction/event-based posting to more engaging contests/promotions messaging focusing on themes throughout the year.
- Began shaping and executing a research-based strategy for Visit Fairfax’s online social media presence, which included:
- In depth analysis of Visit Fairfax’s online activity, including quantitative and qualitative research, as well as analysis of relative markets’ social media presence.
- An integrated editorial calendar that incorporates seasonal/holiday and event content to coordinate with and support the parallel advertising and e-newsletter campaigns
- Creative and engaging content for Visit Fairfax’s social media channels on Facebook and Twitter, including status updates & notes, photos, videos, and trivia games and giveaways.
- Created a blog and wrote content monthly.
- Visit Fairfax received an ROI of 2:1 on social media by increasing the engagement of FXVA fans on Facebook without the use of sponsored posts.
- Between November 2012 and January 2013, Visit Fairfax reached nearly 65,000 people on Facebook with an estimated ad-equivalency ROI of $33,147.
- In addition, Visit Fairfax had gained more than 400 new followers on Twitter, garnering a 3:1 increase in retweets over the same three-month period (increased engaging content = increased exposure).
- Established certain Visit Fairfax staff as ‘go-to’ travel/tourism/reunion/group hospitality influencers in the social media arena.