Background: Lansdowne Resort, a AAA, Four Diamond Award recipient, is Washington, DC’s premier, full-service resort. Located 30 miles from Washington, DC and seven from Dulles International Airport, the resort is known for being a conference center and struggled with obtaining summer leisure business. Our challenge was to increase overnight stays during the summer and revenue for the county. We created a Summer Concert Series and family getaway campaign.
Challenge: Our primary goal was to increase revenue during the summer when group/conference business is slow. We created a new summer family campaign, including a 13-week Friday night outdoor concert series, along with family activities, increasing revenue for the resort and the county. Competing with The Homestead and other resorts, we focused on our location being only 30 minutes from Washington, DC, the five pool aquatic center, excellent food and wine and many outdoor activities, turning the resort into a family getaway.
Solution: Working with the Loudoun County Visitors Association, private partners, and the Virginia Travel Corporation, we increased our marketing budget by $30,000, allowing the resort to increase their public relations efforts. A range of marketing initiatives took place: a dedicated web site, hefty email and social media campaign, backed by a partnership with MIX 107.3 radio station providing ongoing PR and social media backup.
- Revenue increased year over year by 20% and the trend continued throughout the year.
- Hosted 9 press visits from April through September generating an ongoing amount of public relations. The top stories are listed below and are valued at more than $100,000 of earned media.Northern Virginia Magazine
MIX 107.3: Today’s Best Hits!
TBD.com and Channel 8
- Created and researched mommy bloggers and family travel writers increasing exposure during the summer.
- For the first time in many years, the resort team was interviewed on local radio and TV.
- Created an ongoing Twitter feed with over 300 travel writers following the resort and Denise Benoit.